Maple Syrup Family Festival - Malabar Farm State Park
Saturday, March 3, 2012
12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
For 36 years, Mansfield’s Malabar Farm State Park has hosted thousands of visitors at its annual Maple Syrup Family Festival March 3rd and 4th and March 10th and 11th from Noon to 4pm. This is a Free festival is a unique opportunity for friends and families to learn about and enjoy the history of Ohio maple syrup making.
The festival features demonstrations of Ohio sugaring techniques, from its earliest history when Ohio was home to Native Americans, through present day. Travelers can take a self-guided tour of the sugar camp and sugarhouse, check out sugaring equipment and watch as maple sap is transformed into maple syrup. Presented by the Richland County Museum, the summer bell house, located behind Pugh Cabin, is set up as a pioneer’s cabin where kids and adults can take part in daily pioneer chores, including washing clothes, tending the fire, making candles and open-hearth cooking. Visitors will also enjoy the horse-drawn wagon rides to the sugar camp, offered by the Central Ohio Draft Horse Association.
Free samples of maple syrup are available at the sugarhouse and visitors can purchase pure Ohio maple syrup, homemade maple walnut fudge, maple cotton candy, maple popcorn and other tasty maple products to take home. Live bluegrass music and light refreshments and snacks are offered at Pugh Cabin. Bromfield’s historical 32-room mansion will be open for self guided tours. Tickets can be purchased in the Visitors Center Gift Shop.
« Back to Calendar
- September 3rdSimply Give Food Pantry Donation Program
- September 4thSimply Give Food Pantry Donation Program
- September 4thAnnual Lottery Underway For Castalia Fish Hatchery’s Beginning Fly-Fishing Clinics
- September 11thCommunity Worship Night and 9/11 Remembrance
- September 13th57th Annual Homecoming Bellville First Baptist Church
- September 13thYoung Adult Service - Crossroads Community Church