Music Therapist Dr. Deforia Lane to Speak at Cedarville Univ.
Monday, April 2, 2012
10:00 am - 11:00 am
251 N Main Street
Cedarville University will have Music Therapist Dr. Deforia Lane speak in chapel on April 2nd at 10am. Deforia Lane, PhD, believes in the healing power of music. As the director of music therapy at University Hospitals in Cleveland, Ohio she has had the opportunity to observe how music affects the ill, but her experience is much more personal. When she was 34, Lane was diagnosed with breast cancer. She attended an American Cancer Society support group at University Hospitals’ Ireland Cancer Center called I Can Cope. She, along with seven other patients, learned about the process of the disease and treatment options. She was so encouraged by being with others struggling with the same problems that she asked to compose a song for the last group session. Her song opened the door for her to create University Hospitals’ music therapy program. Now, nearly 30 years later, Lane is still filling the halls of the hospital with music. Lane serves on Cedarville University’s board of trustees, and will be speaking in chapel on April 2, 2012 at 10 a.m. The service will be held in the Jeremiah Chapel of the Dixon Ministry Center. You may also listen to the web stream of chapel. Visit the University online at www.cedarville.edu.
« Back to Calendar
- September 17thWooster Hope Center FREE CLOTHING
- September 17thWooster Hope Center Emergency Food Pantry
- September 17thCommunity Baby Shower benefiting the Pregnancy Care Center of Wayne County
- September 16thNinth annual Autism Awareness Walk-a-thon to be held Sept. 20
- September 15thOhio experiencing increase in respiratory illnesses
- September 15thLocal fire departments extinguish fire at Madison home